Greetings! For this course you will need to create a CUNY Academic Commons account. This will allow you to respond to discussion questions and participate in our class-wide ethnographic project. There’s a two-step process for joining: a) Create a Commons account b) accept the invitation I’ll send you once you’ve joined the Commons.
Here’s how to join the Commons:
- Head to the CUNY Academic Commons: https://commons.gc.cuny.edu/
- Click “Register” in the top right corner.
- Create a username. I prefer first name+last initial: mine would be sschwartz.
- Use a CUNY email address to register. This can be changed later through “My profile”. (see next section)
- Enter your full name. You can make this private later.
- Indicate your Role as an Undergraduate Student
- Other fields can be filled in later in your profile.
- Agree to the Terms of Service (You own your own data!)
Two notes: a) you can skip the prompt that asks you to create your own blog, though if you want to play around with this functionality, feel free; and b) if you want to change your email from your BMCC email to a different account that you check more frequently, here’s how you do it:
To edit a Commons profile:
- Sign in to the Commons with your newly created username and password
- Click the arrow in the upper right-hand corner of the page
- Select “My Profile”. This takes you to your public profile
- Use the “Edit Profile” button to make changes.
- Change the contact email, picture, and other information here.